Learning Resource Centre
Learning Resource Centre
L.R.C. OPENING TIMES
Monday 8.15 - 5:00 pm
Tuesday 8:45 - 5:00 pm Discussion Group 3:30-4:30
Wednesday 8.15 - 5:00 pm Homework Club 3:30-4:30
Thursday 8.15 - 5:00 pm
Friday 8:45 - 3:30 pm
- The LRC is a quiet space for reading, writing and revising.
- The best time to borrow resources is during Break and Lunch.
- During lessons KS 3 & 4 students must have a teacher’s pass to use the LRC.
- Occasionally the LRC may be closed for the sole use of a group under staff supervision such as Learning Support, Mentor Training, workshops or other events.
STAFF: Mrs. Dunmore, LRC Manager/Librarian Ms. Christie, Assistant Librarian
CONTACT: telephone 020 8385 4040 x232 email@example.com
Black History in science, maths, the arts, and human
is a focus throughout the year with displays and highlights on events.
Monthly, Seasonally or Annually-
Scholastic C2C Book Club – Place your orders via this link to help us earn 20 pence on every £1 you spend on books.
World Book Day is the first Thursday in March.
Tuesdays 3.30-4.45 - Discussion Group – books, debate topics, London offerings
Wednesdays 3.30-4.45 - Homework Club
During Break and Lunch students may borrow books, research online, print or create documents for coursework, or come to read. At lunch, chess and draughts sets are available. Prefects support the operations of the LRC where we try to help each student succeed and to further the life of the community as a whole.
LOANS A student’s LRC account is a contractual understanding of responsibility.
- Upon enrolment, students are given a borrower account to use until they leave school.
- A borrower provides his/her borrower account number for all transactions.
- Generally, two (2) books may be borrowed. More may be borrowed at the discretion of the librarians, for example if no overdue books occur.
- Borrowing privileges are suspended if items are overdue. There are no overdue fines.
- If an item is lost, the borrower will be asked to pay the replacement cost, OR to pay £5 if no price is on record, OR – at the discretion of the librarian - to provide ‘in kind’ replacement.
TECHNOLOGY Ethical, safe practice is expected at all times.
- Oliveris the library opac. Currently, it is only available on the school network.
- Students have a username and password to manage loans, overdues, reserves.
- The IT department provides each student with a schoollog-in for their sole use.
- Fifteen (15) computers are provided solely for school work.
- Printing is free of charge. Colour printing is NOT available.
- A photocopier is available in the LRC. Each A4 page costs five pence; A3 ten pence.
DOING RESEARCH Always cite your source!
- Use mind-maps (text skeletons) when taking notes to organize your understanding and to plan your writing.
- Be a member of the Brent Library system. With a membership number and PIN you may find excellent Online Resources free of charge.
- See /neilstoolbox.com/ for examples of referencing a source and other useful tools.
HOW TO WORK IN THE LRC
1. Demonstrate focus and self-direction
2. Use silence for concentration
3. Keep headphones, ipod, mobile off & out of sight
4. Have equipment & assignment out
5. Water only - no chewing or eating
6. Coat / hat off
7. Bags on floor, under table or seat.
Workshop with author Zannah Kearns.